- Experienced Web Developer with a marketing, graphic design, and communications background.
- Full stack lifecycle experience with strong leadership, analytical, architectural, and technical lead skills.
- Developed, maintained, and reimagined hundreds of client and corporate websites.
- Agile, resourceful, savvy, and enthusiastic developer with excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. A passionate problem solver. Strong PHP scripting and Drupal solutions skills.
Web Technologies and Frameworks
Concepts and Philosophies
MVC, DRY, OO Programming, Responsive Design, SEO, Agile development methodologies. I like clean, semantic, maintainable, and reusable code.
Eclipse/Aptana IDE’s, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, FTP, SSH, GIT, Salesforce, Basecamp.
Senior Web Developer - eCape, Inc.
February 2004 - October 2013
Assessed corporate and client needs and specifications, translating them to custom solutions; performed project scoping and budgeting; evaluated and applied emerging technologies, improving content delivery and increasing traffic/revenue; acquired and managed numerous outsourced projects; mentored staff and management in technical and workflow issues; oversaw development activities of junior staff and interns; implemented Salesforce & Basecamp to fulfill support requests; maintained Linux Web and e-mail services.
Highlights and Accomplishments
- Transitioned to an agile development model employing newly available standards, frameworks, and open-source resources such as CodeIgniter, Drupal, jQuery, HTML5, and CSS3 to provide a richer, more optimized web experience.
- Upgraded all in-house websites to Drupal and developed custom functionality for a robust, content-driven architecture, improving advertiser visibility and revenue.
- Applied responsive techniques to extend mobile reach and utilized clean, semantic code and SEO practices throughout the development process.
- Led the development of newly acquired WeddingsOnCapeCod.com, improving aesthetics, advertiser presentation and reporting, and content delivery. These changes resulted in the site becoming a premier venue and major revenue contributor to the corporation.
- Oversaw flawless migration of 200+ websites from a legacy server environment to updated servers utilizing PHP5/MySQL 5.
Web Developer - Best Read Guide, Inc and eCape, Inc.
April 1996 - January 2004
Expanded corporate web business into local niche markets; full-cycle development of over 200 client websites; established and managed a client advertising system for flexible ad positioning and reporting; developed new website features and content systems; supported IT requirements for office staff; conducted training for clients on CMS/eCommerce websites.
Highlights and Accomplishments
- Proactively addressed evolving needs of corporate and client websites by leveraging cutting-edge techniques and open source resources, consistently completing projects under budget and on time.
- Collaborated with management to develop protocols, workflow, and pricing structure for the new web development and hosting arms of the business; provided an agile development environment, timely turnaround on projects, and high customer satisfaction.
- Developed CapeCodTravel.com, establishing the company’s new advertising business and showcasing content from the printed product. Using early SEO tactics, the site would consistently rank #1 in leading search engines, making the site an early leader in the regional marketplace and contributing the majority of revenues for the Web department.
- Developed the Best Read Guide franchise website and network of 10 destination sites. Managed monthly content flow from print to online, while improving brand visibility. The development and enhancement of the site culminated in the sales of the franchise to Morris Communications in excess of $1 million.
- Developed CapeCodToday.Com, an early example of a hyperlocal community newspaper and marketplace. Established a robust content management system with custom modules, increasing visitor interactivity, and maximizing visibility of advertisers by thinking “outside the banner”.
- Developed hyperlocal content-rich niche sites for pets, kids/families, real estate, autos and shopping, expanding company revenue and community reach.
Freelance Web Designer and Developer
1995 - Present
Develop custom content management and e-commerce solutions for various publishers and retailers; worked closely with proprietors to develop successful content and SEO strategies and to maximize traffic and profitability.
Highlights and Accomplishments
- Developed marthas-vineyard.com, a popular regional tourism/community website in service since 1997. Programmed custom functionality to facilitate advertising directory, lodging reservation capabilities, and the integration of third-party content services. Worked closely with the owner to develop and maintain a successful advertising and content strategy and to revamp the site as needs and standards evolved.
- Launched an e-commerce website for The Yankee Craftsman, Cape Cod’s largest collectibles outlet. Developed custom functionality to feature new lines as needed. The site resulted in significant sales increases for the company.
- Launched supplier retail website that featured thousands of products and helped a strictly mail-order and trade show-based business increase their yearly revenue by 80%.
- Developed and launched a marketing campaign to promote – and ultimately sell – a Vermont-based condo group. The campaign included an aggressive social media initiative that resulted in the property’s most successful season in 10 years, and led to the the group’s sale — a goal they hadn’t been able to achieve on their own for almost five years.
- Developed several well-received modules for legacy CMS/eCommerce platforms (Postnuke, Xaraya, Zikula, osCommerce) and provided support in project forums and chat rooms.
UMASS - Dartmouth
Marketing and Business Management
Earned a Bachelor of Arts in Marketing with a concentration in Communication and Business Management. Successfully launched the university’s first chapter of The American Marketing Association.